Menopause is the process during which a woman comes to the end of her fertility cycle. It can happen as early as her 30s, but in most cases, it starts to happen in her late 40s or early 50s. A woman is considered to be in full menopause when she has gone a full 12 months without having a period.
And although menopause is a completely normal and natural process (i.e., it is not something that needs to be “fixed”), going through menopause can bring with it some unpleasant symptoms that can negatively affect the daily lives of many women.
Some common symptoms of menopause include:
- Hot flashes and night sweats
- Mood swings
- Vaginal dryness and decreased sex drive
- Decreased energy
- Weight gain
- Thinning hair
- Dry skin
- Changes to the breasts (decrease in volume)
- For some, there is also an increased risk of certain diseases like osteoporosis and heart disease.
Unpleasant as many of these symptoms may be, however, the good news is that these can often be easily managed with some natural remedies, including, proper exercise, supplements and even prescribed medications.
Getting regular exercise is important for managing several risk factors of menopause, including weight gain, loss of bone density, and insomnia. Activities such as yoga, pilates & weight bearing exercises are all important for mental and physical well-being.
There are a number of natural supplements that can help you control your menopause symptoms. These include:
- Black cohosh – has been shown to reduce some of the effects of menopause, such as hot flashes and night sweats. It may also help to improve the quality of your sleep.
- Siberian Rhubarb – Metagenics (Estrovera) – delivers ERr 731®, a plant-derived ingredient, demonstrated in clinical studies to significantly reduce daily hot flashes, and other menopausal symptoms. It acts on the estrogen receptor to make your body believe it is not missing estrogen. https://www.estrovera.com/
- Maca Root – the adaptogen herb, can help improve energy levels and libido by lowering cortisol levels.
There are a number of prescription options available as well. Our Certified Menopause Practitioners and Women’s Health Experts, Kerry Roberts & Carolyn Whiskin, are happy to answer any questions about how you can manage your menopausal symptoms and teach you about the benefits and risks of each treatment option. They specialize in helping make the best choice for you regarding the treatment of your menopausal symptoms.
Free Virtual Education Session
At Brant Arts, we believe through education we can empower women in their quest for a healthier, happier postmenopausal life! This is why we have created a Free Virtual Education Session where you can learn the importance of maintaining and improving health after menopause and how to feel in control over the treatment options available. If you are currently not managing your menopausal symptoms, we invite you to join us! There are 4 dates to choose from, beginning on March 7, 2021.
To register and for more details, click here. www.brantarts.ca/menopause
 Efficacy of black cohosh-containing preparations on menopausal symptoms: a meta-analysis – PubMed (nih.gov)