What is Compounding?
Compounding is the traditional method of preparing customized medications to help meet unique patient needs.
Professional Compounding Centers of America (PCCA)
The Professional Compounding Centers of America was formed in 1981 and is the most widely used resource and association for compounding pharmacists, providing insight on chemicals, devices, equipment, flavours, training, and education. As members of PCCA, Brant Arts has access to over 2000 formulas for treating hundreds of conditions. Working with you and your physician, we can develop a compounded preparation that meets your unique needs.
Compounding helps patients by:
- Avoiding dyes, preservatives, fillers and active ingredients which you may be allergic to
- Using a variety of flavouring options such as crème de menthe or tutti frutti
- Finding dosage forms that are suitable for each patient (lollipops, suppositories, troches, etc.,)
- Preparing topical medications which can avoid side effects that may occur with swallowed forms
- Creating a strength or dosage form which is not commercially available
- Creating unique dosage forms designed for a specific problem for people and their pets
- Preparing unusual strengths, discontinued or back-ordered commercially available products (ex. Phenazo, Antabuse – Disulfiram)
Some of the conditions we have prepared compounds for include: